Monday, August 07, 2006

Catching Up

August 4: Happiness is going to Wal-Mart by myself. It's my reward for not selling #1 to the gypsies. Now she dishes out the fruit snacks while I shop for camping food, which brings me to...

August 5: Happiness is driving down the road with our travel trailer behind us. Just 90 minutes from home, but a world away. Oh, how I love sipping coffee outside in the morning, firing up the electric skillet and griddle for pancakes and bacon cooked under that maroon-striped awning. Magic!

August 6: Happiness is camping with friends. Our dear neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Middle America, and their 4 kids drug their pop-up along and the grown-ups talked endlessly, the kids chased each other and no one had to get stitches. A good time was had by all.

And TODAY: How much do I love that people go around in their own little worlds? NO CLUE whatsoever that they are being watched. My favorite place to people-watch is at stoplights. HILARIOUS!! People rocking out, singing, swaying, drumming...girlfriend did a huge drum solo (Wipe Out, maybe?) all over the interior of her '90's-era Volvo...115-year-old Farmer PawPaw chatting away on a cell phone in in his '75 Ford truck...and my, oh my, THE PICKERS!! Boogers, zits, gray hairs, fingernails, TOENAILS (NOT kidding!!), and stray chin hairs. Followed closely by THE GROOMERS! There's the electric-shave, the makeup queens, roller-removers...I saw a gal get out of her car to flip, brush and spray before the light changed. PEOPLE!! Get an ALARM CLOCK! Oh, oh OH! Those guys with the comb-overs playing Pixie Stix with the 11 hairs, getting them j-u-s-t s-o...Oh, I can't BREATHE!!! Then there was the time I had to resist the overwhelming urge to change my course to see what ever became of Madame Bouffant who was driving with one hand while shellac-ing her Texas 'do with a can of AquaNet and SMOKING A CIGARETTE in a closed car. I literally watched the evening news for three days to see if she ended up a crispy critter...

Also, good for a laugh are the fighters! When two people are really hashing it out, but you can't hear anything, they look REDICULOUS! Makes me stop to think, sometimes, y'know? Then there are the people arguing on the phone with a wireless headset, so it looks like they're having a come-apart ringtail fit right there at the corner of Portland and Wilshire!

Anyway, as privacy-oriented and self-conscious as we can be sometimes, I think it's a hoot and a half how people will behave in their cars...

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Hilarious. Don't they know they're surrounded by windows and mirrors?

Melzie said...

The aquanet lady made me LOL :) I like your blog I'll drop back in ;) xoxo melzie

LiteratureLover said...

Laughing. I have definitely done the roller thing AND the makeup thing on the way to church. Yikes! I think we get so used to being closed indoors that we think people can't see inside our cars, after all, they ARE tinted!